Best Friends: Jealousy by TBishop27@aol.com Category: MSR Rated: This series is NC-17 although not all parts necessarily fall into that category. Disclaimer: This Mulder and Scully are mine. Chris would never let his do such things. Feedback: Is always appreciated but only necessary if you want to see this series continue. This seems to have turned into ‘request fiction’ with so many of you offering wonderful suggestions that I’m always too happy to consider. As always, flames will be forwarded to that dark part of my writer’s imagination that roams the night in search of victims. Author’s note: This is the fifth installment of the Best Friends series. 1. Mulder’s Girlfriend 2. The Date 3. Sleeping Together 4. Work Ethics 5. Jealousy **Thanks to Shell and David for beta! If you’re missing a part of this series and would like to check it out, all my stories are now archived in THE LITERARY G-SPOT. http://members.xoom.com/arcticfox42/Tbishop.htm BEST FRIENDS: Jealousy My mother has been harping on me for the past two weeks about bringing Mulder over for dinner at her house. I’ve avoided it like an alien virus. I love my mother and she’s a wonderful cook, but it’s what else she’s cooking up that has me afraid. After the incident with the lingerie I’m scared to think what she’d have in store for us if she held us captive for an entire evening. I keep telling her we’re very busy on a case, but she is persistent. Eventually, I’m going to have to accept her offer and then pray to God she doesn’t humiliate me in front of Mulder. I’ve seen my mother in action many times before. When she gets a whiff of love in the air, she starts talking up every wedding she’s ever attended. If she knew Mulder was divorced she’d freak. Hell, I freaked! Although honestly, at this point, I’m sure she would be willing to accept just about any defects as long as her thirty-five year old unmarried daughter was involved in a serious relationship with someone... anyone! And she’s always been fond of Mulder. Yeah, I suppose she would forgive him for being divorced. I’m not sure I’ve forgiven him yet, but I’m working on it. It’s been an interesting two weeks. We’ve thankfully managed to control ourselves at the office ever since that fiasco where Skinner ended up discovering our little secret the first day. We have an arrangement now. Or as Mulder so delicately puts it, we behave ourselves all day so we can hump like little bunnies when we get home. We’ve been two very happy little bunnies every single night. Mulder hasn’t been sleeping over though. I really would like him to but I don’t want him to think I’m trying to push things. I need to take this slow. There’s too much at risk here to make mistakes. Things really have been going better than I would have expected or even hoped for. We seem to have had no trouble making the transition from just friends to lovers. I guess it was something we were both ready for. It doesn’t feel strange or awkward at all to be intimate with this man whose been my partner for seven years. I do find myself pausing for little reality checks though. I still can’t believe I’m not dreaming or tripping in some mushroom induced hallucination. And I’ve had to resist the urge to draw a blood sample from Mulder to verify that he is in fact actually himself. I’m trying to believe all this. I really am... but it just seems too good to be true. Last night was Friday and Mulder took me to a concert in the park after work. I never knew he was such a fan of classical music. It seems my partner is quite knowledgeable on the subject in fact. Not only did he impress me with his ability to recognize each work that was presented, but you could have knocked me over with a feather when he went on about the political and satirical works of Dmitri Shostakovich and his tragic eventual concession to authority. I forget sometimes what a truly brilliant and well educated man my partner is. Occasionally, he intimidates the hell out of me. The fact that he thinks he needs me to validate his work is extraordinary. I never want to disappoint him. Tonight we’re going to a Jazz club. This sudden revitalization of my social life has fostered the need for some additions to my wardrobe. It’s a nice change of pace shopping for cocktail dresses instead of business suits. And Mulder is always appreciative of my efforts. I think I went overboard on the shopping today though. I’m struggling through the crowded mall parking lot, loaded down, with packages when I take a wrong step. My damn heel breaks and I fall quite inelegantly on my ass. “Damn it!” Not only did I ruin my favorite 'comfortable' heels, but I’m going to have one hell of an ugly and sore bruise. “Are you okay?” A man’s voice asks and I hear heavy footsteps rushing up behind me. “I think so.” I answer back and try to struggle to my feet. Of course, someone had to be around to see me. “Ouch! Shit!” A pair of hands grabs my shoulders to support me before I lose my balance and fall again. Great! I must have sprained my ankle. “Easy there. Looks like you hurt yourself.” I finally turn my head to see who it is who has come to my rescue. We both laugh. “Agent Scully?” “Agent Trevor.” He’s a photo analysis expert with the Bureau. He teaches part time at Quantico. Mulder and I have worked with him a few times. He’s very good. “Here, let me take those.” He gathers up my packages. He watches me try again to put weight on my rapidly swelling ankle. No good. “Too bad. That’s the right one. You’re not going to be able to drive.” He’s right. I sigh and pull out my cell phone. “I suppose not. I’ll call Mulder to come pick me up.” He takes the phone out of my hand. “I won’t hear of it. I was on my way home anyway. I’ll give you a ride. It’s the least I can do for a fellow agent. Besides, it’s sort of a hobby of mine... rescuing beautiful women in distress.” ------------------------------------------------ Scully and I are supposed to be going out to listen to Jazz tonight, but when Maggie Scully called me at home and invited us to have dinner at her house... well, I couldn’t exactly say no. I’m not sure why she called ME, but then again there’s no reason why she shouldn’t. We’ve been friends a long time, since Scully’s abduction. I would never have made it through that without her. Maggie is an remarkable woman. It’s easy to see where her daughter gets her strength from. I tried to call Scully to tell her about the change of plans, but she wasn’t home. I think I remember she said something about going shopping. She wasn’t answering her cell phone either, so I decided to drive over and wait for her at her place. I’m about to use my key to let myself in when I hear laughter and voices coming from inside. That’s ‘voices’, plural, MY Scully and some GUY! I freeze. Okay, let’s not assume the worst here. Maybe her brother’s in town. No, Charlie’s overseas and that was definitely laughter I heard in there... to the best of my knowledge, Bill Scully doesn’t laugh. I probably should just go and call her from the car, let her know I’m on my way over. I should, but I’m not! Damn it, I want to know who she’s got in there! I knock on the door and try very hard to check my jealousy. It’s a wasted effort though as soon as I see who opens the door... Agent Trevor. This slime ball has had his eyes on Scully for years. What the hell is going on here? “Hi.” He says, like he lives there or something. “Who is it, Mark?” I hear Scully call out to him. Mark? She called him Mark? “It’s Agent Mulder.” He calls back over his shoulder. Damn fucking right it is! I push past ‘Mark’, into the apartment. Scully is sitting on her sofa with her leg propped up on a couple of pillows set on top of the coffee table. There’s a bag of ice resting on her ankle. “Hi, Mulder.” She offers me a sheepish grin. “What happened?” I let my concern win out over my jealousy for the moment. She shakes her head. “It’s just a sprain. My stupid heel broke and I fell in the parking lot at the mall. I walk over and lift up the ice bag. Her ankle is really swollen. “Are you sure it’s not broken?” She wiggles her foot and winces. “Nope, just hurts like hell. It’ll be fine in a few days.” I replace the ice bag. Now that I know she’s all right, I can feel my green rage quickly returning. “What’s HE doing here?” I ask so only she can hear. She gives me this funny look like she’s trying to figure out who I am. “Agent Trevor was kind enough to give me a ride home from the mall. I couldn’t exactly drive my car like this.” “So it’s Agent Trevor now? It was Mark a minute ago.” “Mulder...” “How well do you two know each other? Is he often you’re personal taxi service, Scully?” “Mulder, I...” “He certainly seems at home. Has he been here before?” “Mulder, enough!” I turn away from my now red faced partner and glare at the man who is still standing nervously in the doorway. “So, ‘Mark’, are you and Dana good friends?” “Maybe I’d better go.” He says, backing up a little. “Oh please, Mark, don’t leave on my account.” He looks nervously back and forth between me and Scully. “No, I really think I ought to be going. I’ll see you, Dana.” He disappears out the door faster than you can say ‘dead man’. ------------------------------------------------ What in the world just happened here? Has Mulder completely lost his mind or what? As if this whole thing wasn’t embarrassing enough, Mulder has to show up acting like a jealous husband. My natural inclination is to really let him have it for humiliating me in front of a colleague, but I’m just not up for it. My ankle hurts too damn much. “We have to work with him you know, Mulder.” I say, much calmer than I really feel. He stands in the middle of the room with his back to me. “What was he doing here, Scully?” I sigh and resign myself to deal with this in a calm, rational manner. “I told you. He gave me a ride home. He was in the parking lot when I fell. I was going to call you but he insisted on driving me.” “I tried to call you. How come you didn’t answer?” “Mulder, I don’t appreciate you interrogating me like I’m a suspect. I haven’t done anything wrong.” “Really?” He asks in a way that makes it hard to keep my anger at bay. “Okay, Mulder, you caught me. I guess I’d better fess up. Agent Trevor and I were having sex in the shower... and I slipped and hurt my ankle. Happy now?” He turns around and looks at me with the most pathetically sad expression on his face. “I’m kidding!” What is wrong with him? “I don’t find this funny.” “Neither do I.” We stare at each other for a minute. There are emotions swirling around in Mulder’s eyes that I’ve never seen there before. Damn him! He’s making me feel as though I’ve betrayed him by simply accepting a ride home from someone. Why should I feel guilty? I didn’t DO anything! “I’m gonna go.” He says at last. “Fine, suit yourself.” I try to sound like I couldn’t care less. He doesn’t need to know that the thought of him walking out that door right now has me about ready to hyperventilate. He gets as far as the door and he stops. “I can’t go.” He says, his hand resting on the door handle. Thank God. He’s finally come to his senses. “We have to be at your mother’s at six o’clock for dinner.” ------------------------------------------------ Scully and I haven’t spoken a word to each other since I told her about her mother’s invitation. I sat at the kitchen table while Scully hobbled about getting ready to go. I seriously thought about calling to cancel, but I didn’t want to do that to Maggie. Besides, if Scully didn’t want to go she could just as easily have picked up the phone and used her injury as an excuse. She’s finally ready, or so I assume, because she’s standing in the entry to the kitchen with her purse over her shoulder, glaring at me. I can’t ignore it when she looks at me like that. “Two weeks! Two weeks, Scully, and already it’s starting... With Phoebe I half expected it! Diana I didn’t find out about until after she’d left! I can’t believe you’d do this to me!” She comes over to where I’m sitting. When she speaks her voice is soft and quiet but there is just the hint of a tremor in it that warns me of the emotions under the surface. “First of all, Mulder, I haven’t done anything wrong. Whether you choose to believe me or not is entirely up to you. I’m deeply hurt to discover that you don’t trust me however... very deeply hurt. Secondly, don’t you EVER compare me to either of those two women again.” As I watch her hobble away, I feel the panic rising up inside me. I can’t believe I just threw the infidelities of my ex-wife and my old girlfriend up in Scully’s face, and accused her of being no better. If Scully’s story is true, and I have no reason not to believe it, then she really hasn’t done anything wrong... and I’m the biggest jackass that ever lived. “Scully, wait.” I get up and hurry over to her. There are tears on her face and I want to kill myself for being the one who put them there. “I’m sorry. I do trust you. Only you. You know that. I was just jealous. Please forgive me. I’ll apologize to Agent Trevor on Monday... I’ll do what ever it takes, Scully. Just please, please forgive me.” ------------------------------------------------ We were going to be really late to Mom’s but this was our first fight... as a couple I mean. I couldn’t stay mad at him. Not when he takes my face in his hands and starts kissing away my tears and mumbling over and over how sorry he is. I know he’s using sex to get around me on this one, but I’m too damn turned on right now to care. “Please forgive me.” He whispers in my ear, and then lets his tongue play with the gold hoop dangling from my lobe. “Please...please.” he begs in between gentle nips to my neck. His hands have slipped beneath my shirt and are making an agonizingly slow ascent up my ribcage, softly touching and caressing my skin. I moan when his hands finally reach their goal and his thumbs roll lightly over the thin fabric of my bra making my nipples go erect. He pinches them and I feel the current of arousal pulling at my center. “Scully...” He whispers, his lips now brushing airily across mine. I shift a little to keep the weight off my bad ankle, and I’m amazed at how wet and ready I am for him. In such a short time Mulder has learned the best ways to get my body to respond. “...tell me you forgive me.” He laps at my lips... but when I try to kiss him he pulls back. He waits, not letting our lips touch, but remaining so close I can feel his hot breath on my mouth. I swallow, the sound is loud in the stillness of the room. I try to resist, because I know that this is wrong. We should talk this out... we should. My tongue passes over my lips where Mulder’s teased just a moment ago. His hands snake back down to hold my waist and he pulls our lower bodies together until they touch. I can feel his hardness pressing a promise against my belly. “Scully, I’m waiting.” I can feel the vibrations of his words in the places where our bodies touch. His eyes are locked on mine. My head is tilted all the way back as I look up at him. I close my eyes, struggling for control, and he grinds his pelvis against me. His strong hands hold me firmly in place. Oh, hell! “I forgive you.” The instant the words leave my mouth he claims me with a kiss so intense my knees buckle and I am a captive in his embrace. Oh, God... how does he do this to me? A few minutes ago I was furious with him and now I am willing to give him anything he wants. Mulder has this way of biting at my lips, not hard, but with enough repetition that it quickly causes them to swell and become hyper-sensitive. Then he uses his tongue to soothe them, and I'm always left trembling from the ordeal. When he finally pulls back from our kiss I am in just such a state. “I’m sorry I lost it today, Scully.” He lifts me up into his arms and carries me out to the living room. “I’m a very jealous man when it comes to you.” He sets me down on the sofa. “I can’t stand the thought of some other guy touching you.” He very carefully places my foot back up on it’s nest of pillows. “I can’t stand the thought of some other guy kissing you.” He kneels in front of me and leans forward to taste my lips once more. His tongue probes deep and I moan when he uses the tip of it to trace patterns across the roof of my mouth. As he’s kissing me, I feel his fingers hot against the bare flesh of my legs... they dig into me, almost bruising with their fervor, creeping higher and sliding my skirt up inch by inch until he reaches his objective. He ends our kiss and I let my head fall back against the cushions of the couch. “Forgive me.” He says once more. “I already have.” I whisper. “Not for that. For this.” I gasp as suddenly he rips my lacy panties from my body revealing my sex to his hungry eyes. I am all too aroused to mind the destruction of my wardrobe. My insides are quivering in anticipation of what he might do next. “I can’t stand the thought of another man getting hard at the scent of you.” He rubs the damp scrap of lace against his face and draws in a slow deep breath. God, he’s making me ache. “I can’t stand the thought of another man tasting your essence, Scully.” He tosses the panties aside and brings his mouth down on my center, his fingers parting me so his tongue can lap the pooling wetness from my folds. “Oh my God..” I groan, my eyes fall shut and I dig my nails into the sofa cushion. His tongue rolls over my hot spots, that he has carefully put to memory. Mulder knows just where... just how... He lifts his head, pausing briefly to make another point. “I can’t stand the thought of another man making you come.” And then he mercifully returns to his ministrations, nipping and suckling a little harder than before, refusing to let up until he pushes me over that edge... And I’m falling... My hands reach out blindly and I grab his hair, holding him to me until the last waves of rapture have finally subsided. I release him reluctantly. “More than anything else, Scully,” he says, his tone suddenly taking on a dark edge. “I can’t stand...” My eyes are shut tight but I can hear his zipper slide down. “...the thought...” I hear the rustle of fabric as his pants drop to the floor around his knees. “...of another man fucking you.” He pulls my hips to the edge of the couch and enters me with one swift thrust, burying himself deep inside me. “Oh, Mulder...God, yes!” His hands hold my hips firmly in place while he begins pounding into me with punishing intensity. “I can’t stand it...” He says and drives into me harder. “It makes me crazy...” His breathing becomes ragged. “I lose all control...” He moves faster. “I go out of my fucking mind, Scully!” He’s taking me now so deep and so hard that I cry out with each and every thrust. “I won’t share you!” There is no longer any rhythm, only frantic penetration. “You’re mine! Do you understand me?” He stops my head from thrashing back and forth against the cushions by grabbing my face in his hand and forcing me to look at him. In his gaze I see jealous rage. “Yes!!!” I scream as the climax hits me with a force I’ve never experienced before. I lose all senses... cognizant of only the sexual exhilaration. When I return Mulder is laying spent over my body. He’s breathing hard and trembling every now and then. My arm is heavy but I manage to lift it up off the couch so I can run my fingers through his damp hair. “Scully...” he mumbles into my chest. “I love you.” I lean forward and kiss the top of his head, tasting the salt of his sweat. “God, Mulder, I love you too.” ------------------------------------------------ We’re nearly an hour late to Scully’s mom’s house. She forgets all about it though when she sees her daughter hobble in with an injury. “Oh, my Lord, Dana! What happened?” She rushes to Scully’s side and takes over for me, helping her daughter to the nearest chair. “It’s just a sprain, Mom. Don’t worry. I broke a heel in the parking lot at the mall today and fell.” “Oh, Dana. You really have to stop wearing those ridiculous heels!” She shakes her head and sighs. “I’m sorry we’re late, Mom. It took me a lot longer than I thought to get ready.” Scully and I exchange smiles with our eyes. “Don’t give it another thought, honey.” She plants a motherly kiss on Scully’s forehead then turns to me. “Fox, it’s good to see you again.” When she smiles her eyes sparkle just like her daughter’s. I lean over and kiss her cheek. “It’s good to see you too, Mrs. Scully.” “Oh, now that won’t do.” She frowns. “You’re part of this family, Fox. Please, call me Mom. That is, if it doesn’t make you uncomfortable?” Scully mutters something under her breath neither of us catch. “What, dear?” “Nothing, Mom. Is dinner ready?” “Yes. Why don’t you and Fox just wait here while I get the food on the table.” “Do you need any help...Mom?” I offer and she grins when she hears me call her mom. “No, dear. Thank you. Just stay and keep Dana company. I won’t be but a minute.” As soon as her mother is out of earshot Scully apologizes. “I’m sorry, Mulder. I should warn you, my mother is relentless when it comes to matchmaking. We’re undoubtedly in store for an evening of not so subtle hinting on the subject of marriage.” I must not be hiding my feelings very well because she chuckles softly. “I know that face, Mulder. That’s your panic face.” Sometimes I wish that she didn’t know me quite so well. I don’t have any idea what to say at this point. There is a long uncomfortable silence between us. “How about those Knicks, Scully?” It’s a poor attempt at humor but that’s all I’ve got right now. She surprises me with what she says next. “Relax, Mulder. I’m not looking for a ring. I gave up on that a long time ago. I just want your companionship... in what ever form you can offer. That’s good enough for me.” She even manages a smile. I don’t deserve her. I know that. I put my hand on her cheek and she puts her hand over mine. “I love you, Dana.” She grins. “Don’t call me Dana in front of my mother, she’ll book the church.” We’re both laughing when Maggie returns. ------------------------------------------------ The evening went pretty much how I had expected. My mother did her best to keep the topic of conversation on weddings and marriage. Mulder, God bless him, remained charming and at least outwardly calm throughout the entire nightmare. I wish I could say the same for myself. Maybe it was the pain in my ankle, or the stress from a really taxing day, or maybe it was the fact that my mother finally got so bold as to inquire outright whether Mulder had ever considered marriage. Whatever it was, I just couldn’t sit there any longer and watch the man I loved be tortured. “Mom, Mulder’s been married before!” I snapped. “And he’s not interested in making the same mistake twice! So could we just move on and talk about something else? Please?” I regretted my outburst as soon as I saw the hurt look on my mother’s face. Dinner was finished in relative silence from then on. I ended up with a pounding headache and we said goodnight early, my mother refusing all offers of help to clear away the dishes or clean up. I tried to apologize at the door but she just waved it off as if nothing had happened. It’s now an issue between us that will have to be resolved over a quiet, Mulderless, lunch. On the drive home I held my aching head and Mulder put some soft music on the radio for us to listen to. He didn’t say anything, and I wasn’t sure if he was angry with me for telling my mother his little secret, or if all the talk about marriage had made him uncomfortable despite my assurance that I held no such ambitions. He pulls up in front of my apartment and I’m about to get out of the car when Mulder stops me. “Scully?” “Yeah?” He hesitates but then decides to go ahead with what he has to say. “I realized something tonight. I’ve been unfair to you. I’ve been making all the rules in our relationship and expecting you to live by them. I suck at relationships, Scully. I’m too selfish, I suppose. But I’m determined to make this one work. All your mother’s talk of marriage tonight made me stop and think.” “Oh, God. Mulder if you propose to me right now, I’m going to have to say no.” He smiles. “Well then I won’t. But I want you to know, Scully, someday I might.” Jesus, my mother has a gift! ~END~ Life is too short to drink bad wine.