The Diana Thing by TBishop27@aol.com Rated: R Category: Mulder and Scully Angst, S/O, MSR Summary: Scully's finally had enough of the Diana thing. Disclaimer: This Mulder and Scully are mine, Chris doesn't let his play like this. Diana, she's entirely the fault of CC and I won't be held responsible for her. Feedback: Will only encourage me. As always, flames will be forwarded to that dark part of my writer's imagination that roams the night in search of victims. Author's Note: This is just something I had to get out of my system because I was really upset at Mulder over a rumor I heard about seventh season. Does that make this a pre-ep fic? Possibly, if rumors prove true. Anyway, I feel better now. I hope you will too after you read it. *** Thanks to David, Shoshana and Shell for the beta. You make me better than I am. And thanks to Grasshopper for keeping up the archive. You're a Webmistress extraordinaire! THE DIANA THING Diana Fowley. Diana Fowley. Diana Fowley. I'm so sick and God damn tired of Diana Fowley! I'll never understand what he sees in her. And I'm tired of his games. When Diana's not around he pretends like he's interested in me. Even had the nerve to say he loves me once! `One in five billion,' my ass! The minute that Diana bitch show's her wrinkled up, old, lying face, he's right back in her arms again. In her bed too, for all I know. Well, I've had it. Really had it this time! I'm not waiting around for him any more. I'm still young enough and attractive enough to find someone to pay me a little attention. He can have his Diana Fowley. I hope they're very happy together. Right up until the time she stabs him in the back that is. I've been brushing men off for too damn long, waiting for Mulder to finally come around. Now it's time for me to live a little. There's this guy who works in the VCU that's been interested for a while. Agent Wright, Vince Wright... I only hope he's Mister Right. I've had my share of Mister Wrongs. I'm going up there now, before I change my mind, and invite Agent Wright over for dinner tonight. No sense putting things off. The sooner I wash Mulder out of my hair the better. Besides, Diana's graced us with her presence again so Mulder will be too preoccupied to notice I even have date. Maybe I'll be happily married before he notices. So much the better. I'm doing it! I am. It's time to move on. I'm tired of being treated like this. I'm tired of being Mulder's rebound girl. So why the fuck am I still sitting here? Because I love him. Because I want him. Because he means everything to me. Grow up, Dana. He doesn't want you. Oh shit! Mulder's back from lunch. How long's he going to stand there by the... oh. Diana's with him. Of course. I should have known. God, I despise that woman's laugh. Well, isn't that sweet, they're just deliriously happy together. Fuck this! I'm out of here! I'm not going to sit around and listen to them laughing it up right outside the door. I've got a date to make! ************************************************** Scully's sure as hell been in a mood all week. Yesterday she nearly knocked Diana off her feet when she bolted out of our office and stormed away in a huff. I didn't even get a chance to ask her what was wrong because she only came back long enough to gather up her things and announce that she was going to finish her report at home. Now it's nearly nine and she hasn't shown up for work yet. Maybe she's not feeling well. Maybe I should give her a call. Come on Scully, pick up. "Hello." Shit I must have dialed the wrong number. "Ah... Sorry, man, I think I have the wrong number." "Um, I'm sorry, are you trying to reach Dana?" What the hell? Who's this clown answering Scully's phone? "Yeah. Dana Scully. Is she there?" "Hello?" "Scully?" Jeez, she sounds half asleep. "Shit! Mulder, what time is it?" "Almost nine." "Oh, God. Mulder, I'm sorry. I over slept. I guess I forgot to set the alarm." "Who the hell answered the phone just now?" "Ahh... I can't talk now, Mulder. I've got to get moving. See you in a bit." "Scully? Scully?" Shit, she hung up. Well, this is interesting. I guess there's really no way to assume anything other than the obvious. Scully had company last night. Damn. No wonder she took off out of here so fast yesterday. She had a date. Scully had a date. An actual date with a guy. A guy who she let sleep over. Sleep over, shit. It wasn't a damn slumber party. Face it, Mulder, she fucked the guy! Scully's involved with someone. When the hell did this happen? Where was I? Who is he? I guess I shouldn't be so surprised. It was bound to happen sooner or later. She's a beautiful woman. I've seen the way men look at her. She usually brushes them off though. I was starting to think she might actually be interested in me. I was hoping anyway. I kept trying to get closer to her little by little. Didn't want to push things, in case I was wrong. Apparently I was wrong. "Knock, knock, anybody home?" "Oh, hi, Diana." Last person I want to see right now. "You don't sound very happy to see me, Fox." "Sorry. I'm a little preoccupied. Is there something you wanted?" Just tell me and go, please. Leave me to my misery. "Just to say hi." God, I'm not in the mood for her right now. "Hi." Now go away. "Say, where's your partner this morning?" "She's running a little late." Please go. "Hmm. That's interesting." "What's so interesting about that?" "Well, Fox, I'd be the last one to gossip. But I was getting coffee this morning and overheard Agent Scully's name mentioned, so I listened in to see what was being said." "Of course. And?" "It seems Agent Scully made a date yesterday with Agent Wright." "VCU Agent Wright?" That prick who's always got his eyes all over Scully? "Yes. He's late to work this morning also. You don't suppose..." "I wouldn't make such a supposition about my partner, Diana. For one, because I respect her too much to gossip, and two, it's none of my damn business!" And three, I know the truth and it hurts too much to say. "You seem angry, Fox." "I'm not angry. I just have work to do. If you don't mind..." And even if you do. Go away, Diana. "Well, I can take a hint." "Bye, Diana." "Good bye, Fox. Nice chatting with you." ************************************************** Well, I did it. I'm not proud of myself, but I started on my recovery program. Twelve steps to get over Fox Mulder. Vince was nice, I suppose. Of course, I drank enough wine to make CGB seem attractive. Shit, I can't believe I did it with him. I hope I didn't do anything too embarrassing, I really can't remember all that much. It was actually a good thing we were late for work this morning. I didn't have to spend a lot of time talking to him. I'll have time to think of something to say now. Decide if I want to see him again. Do I want to see him again? Not really. What I do remember of the evening was pretty miserable. At least inside my head. All I could think about was Mulder. Mulder wouldn't say that. Mulder wouldn't sit there. Mulder knows I hate daisies. Mulder wouldn't laugh at his own stupid jokes. Mulder wouldn't keep trying to impress me by talking about himself all night. Mulder wouldn't keep filling my wine glass when I wasn't looking. Mulder wouldn't take advantage of me in the state I was in. Oh, hell, Mulder wouldn't take advantage of me at all... even if I wanted him to... desperately... for the past six years! Stop it, Dana. Remember the plan. It's time to move on. Mulder is obviously interested in Diana Fowley. Accept it and move on. It'll be difficult at first. But you don't have any choice. He's not in love with you. You have to forget all those things he told you the last time you tried to leave him. He didn't really mean them. You know that. He was just desperately trying to keep you from going away. He would have said anything. He needs you professionally. You validate his work. You keep the X-Files respectable with your science and your skepticism. That's why he wants you to stay. Don't kid yourself into believing he's really in love with you. He's in love with Diana. It's plain to see. Denying it won't make it any less true. Well, time to face the music. Mulder's bound to give me shit about Vince answering the phone. I think I'll disarm him by being completely honest and blunt. That'll shock the hell out of him. Take a deep breath, Dana, and open the door. ************************************************ She's here. Well, it took her damn long enough. I suppose they decided to have a quickie first. Maybe took a shower together. That's a lovely image you just brought to mind, stupid. No. Don't think about them together. It'll only make you crazy. God, I can't stand the thought of him touching her. For years I've wanted to touch her, touch her in places and ways that would make her smile, make her moan with pleasure, make her forget other men existed. How dare that son of a bitch think he can just move in and take her away from me? How could she let him? She looks beautiful today. Something's different though. She won't look at me. Feeling guilty, Scully? Good! I hope you feel guilty as hell. I hope you're as miserable as you've made me. "Morning. Or should I say afternoon?" "It's still morning, Mulder. Sorry, I'm late." So that's it? She's just going to start working like nothing happened. Like hell! "So, who was that who answered the phone at your place?" Go ahead, Scully, squirm. "That was Vince Wright from the VCU. I had a date with him last night." Fuck. She's not even going to make me drag it out of her. "I see." Do you see that I'm dying here, Scully? Do you see that my heart is broken into about a million tiny pieces? Do you see that I'm so jealous I could go upstairs right now and beat that bastard Wright to within an inch of his life? "You been dating him long?" "Actually, it was our first date." "Christ, and you fucked him!" "Mulder!" "Sorry, Scully. I'm just a little surprised that's all. I didn't think you were like that." "What the hell is that supposed to mean?" "I think you know." If looks could kill I'd be a dead man right now. "And what business is it of yours, anyway?" "Well... You are my partner. Your reputation reflects upon both of us." Remember, Mulder, the woman is armed. "My reputation?" "People talk." And she's shot you before. "I think I can be discrete." "You think so? Half the damn Bureau knows you went out with him last night. And what a strange coincidence that you're both late to work this morning. Come on, Scully, we're all FBI agents. We know how to put two and two together." Let her shoot me, I don't care anymore. "So you knew all along? Is that why you called my place this morning?" "I didn't know a thing until Diana..." Oops. "Oh, it figures! It figures that bitch would be spreading the word. I bet she couldn't wait to inform you." "Don't turn this into an argument about Diana." "Oh, heavens no! Please forgive me, I wouldn't want to say anything disparaging about little Miss Perfect! Not that you'd believe a word of it anyway. If you'll excuse me, Mulder, I seem to have come down with a sudden headache. I'm going to take a sick day and go home." Shit, Scully, do you think you could slam that door a little harder? Skinner probably heard it all the way up in his office. That went well. I wonder if I should warn Diana. Nahh, she deserves what she gets. She did come down here just to spread the news. Besides, Scully wouldn't make a scene here at work. She's just going to go home and cool off a few hundred degrees. I wish I could. Unfortunately, one of us has to actually do some work today.. ************************************************ Damn him! And Damn her! God damn them both! I don't have to answer to Fox Mulder for the way I choose to live my life. And I don't care if Mulder is in love with her. If I find out that bitch is going around spreading any more rumors about me at the Bureau, I'll perform an autopsy on her while she's still squirming. The nerve of her! I'll bet she couldn't wait to run to Mulder and tell him about me and Vince. I'll never understand how he can love a woman like that. Of course, I never could understand what he saw in any of the women he's been involved with, well, aside from the obvious. I guess I just always thought Mulder was deeper than that. That he would want more in a woman then mere physical beauty. At least I always hoped that was the case. Wouldn't be the first time I was ever wrong about a man though. Damn. I'm not going to cry over this. I've been through a lot worse things in my life without shedding a tear. Mulder and I were just never meant to be. I can do this. I can get over him. I've just got to focus on my work. Maybe I can go back to teaching at Quantico part time. Certainly with Diana around again Mulder won't be relying solely on me to assist him with the X-Files. Hell, I'll be lucky if he listens to me at all with her following him around and agreeing with everything he says. She's so transparent. He's so gullible. I'm so pathetic. It's almost eleven thirty. Guess I'd better call it a night and try and get some sleep. I have to face Mulder again in the morning. I'm sure he's not through rubbing this in my face. Shit! Three guesses who's knocking at my door at this time of night. Looks like he couldn't wait until morning to have his say. "Scully! It's me. Let me in." Like I have any choice. You'll just use your key if I tell you to go away. "What are you doing here, Mulder?" "Can I come in Scully?" "It's late, Mulder. I was about to go to bed." I can't do this now, I'm too tired. "Could I come in for just a few minutes... I mean, if you're alone." "You mean you didn't check with Agent Fowley first?" "Come on, Scully, are you going to let me in or not?" "Fine." He's not going to let me alone until I do. Might as well get this over with. "Can we sit?" "I'd prefer to stand." We're not getting comfy here, Mulder. Say what you came to say and leave me be. "Scully, will you at least shut the door?" "Whatever." "Thank you." "Why are you here, Mulder?" Didn't you already make your point this morning? "I came over to apologize. I was out of line this morning. I had no right to treat you the way that I did. It's not my place to comment on your personal life." "Okay." Too bad I can smell the gin on your breath from here, Mulder. I wonder how many G and T's you had before you decided to apologize? Does facing me really frighten you that much? "Scully?" "What?" "The phone. Aren't you going to answer it?" "Oh." Who the hell's calling me at this hour? "Hello." "Dana? This is Vince. I hope I'm not calling too late? You weren't asleep were you?" "Ahh... No. Um, It's not too late at all." "That's good because I really wanted to talk to you. You know we both had to rush off this morning... and I've been in the field all day. I just finished up a case and... well, I was wondering... Would you mind if I stopped by? I'm not far from your place." He's got to be kidding! "I don't think so, Vince. Not tonight. I'm pretty tired." "We could go right to bed then." I don't believe this. "I'd prefer to sleep alone tonight, thank you." "Are you sure? You seemed to enjoy my company last night, as I recall." Oh, God. "Look, Vince, not tonight, okay?" "But Dana..." "Mulder... What are you doing?" Oh, no. "Hey, buddy, can't you take a hint. The lady's not interested." "Who the fuck is this?" "The man who's going to beat the shit out of you if you don't leave Agent Scully alone." "That was charming, Mulder. I especially liked the way you broke my telephone when you slammed the receiver down." "I'll replace it." "And what about Vince? Are you going to replace him too?" "Do you want me to?" "I want you to get out, Mulder! I'm tired and I'm really pissed off at you right now. I think it would be good if you just got the hell out of here before I say something I'll regret." Damn it, don't stand there looking so hurt. I don't like doing this, but what choice have you given me? "Scully... I didn't come here to fight. I came here to make up." "Back off, Mulder." Please don't do this. I'm struggling to hold it together as it is. The last thing I need is you standing close to me. "Come on, Scully." "I mean it. Don't touch, Mulder." Damn you! Don't you know what you're doing to me? To you it's nothing more than a hand on my cheek, but you should feel it from my side. I'm so desperate for you, the simplest contact arouses me. My whole body responds to the heat of your palm against my cheek. "What is that?" "What?" Oh, damn, I forgot. "On your neck, right there. Christ, Scully is that what I think it is?" "Shut up, Mulder." And get your hand off my neck. "He gave you a hickey?" "Mulder, get out!" "Why? So you can call your boyfriend back and tell him it's safe to come over now? You're lunatic partner is gone. Then you can both have a good laugh at my expense, after you're finished fucking him. Is that the way it is, Scully?" "Don't do this, Mulder." "So, tell me, what's he like? Did you enjoy him, Scully? He must have enjoyed you, he was pretty persistent about coming back for more." "Please...please, Mulder." "Did you beg him like that too?" "You bastard!" "Ouch! Shit!" Oh, my God. I hit him. I hit him. "Mulder, I'm sorry. Jesus, are you okay?" ************************************************* Maybe I shouldn't have walked out on her like that. Left her without a word after she hit me. But I was so furious, so jealous, so aroused... And I wanted her. More than anything I have ever wanted in my life, I wanted Scully at that moment. It was such an overwhelming sense of need that I actually feared I might act upon it. I got out of there as fast as I could. That was three hours ago. I've been sitting in my car outside her apartment all this time, trying to figure out what in the hell I'm going to do. I know I need to go back in there. I need to make things right between us. If I don't, I'm going to lose her. The thought panics me. I need this woman in my life. She's my center, my balance, my anchor, my reason for getting up in the morning, my reason for pushing ahead against insurmountable resistance, to find the answers... to find the truth. I love her more than I would have ever thought it possible to love someone. I've tried to show her through acts, if not words, that there is nothing I wouldn't do for her. For years, I have forced myself to be content with a platonic relationship, despite the physical longing that plagues me night and day. But now that I know she has given herself to another, I feel this urgency within me to reclaim what I have always thought of as mine. Scully is mine. And I'll be damned if I'll give her up without a fight to the death. Most likely the death will be mine, and it will be at Scully's hands, but I have to try. ************************************************ I promised myself I wouldn't cry and I've spent the last three hours weeping. I can't believe I hit him. I'll never forgive myself. He looked so stunned. I've never seen his eyes that dark before. No matter what he said to provoke me, I had no right to strike out at him physically. I have never experienced such a horrible feeling of abandonment as I did when he fled my apartment tonight. I am terrified that I may have lost the only true friend I have ever known. Mulder is all I have anymore. Over the years, I have become disconnected from my family, mostly out of a need to protect them, but partially out of a need to protect myself. They do not understand the work that I do, or the devotion that compels me to seek the truth. I cannot stand the way they look at me, with pity in their eyes and anger in their hearts. Yes, they blame me. There are so many painful memories that flash before their eyes every time they see me or hear my voice. So I've learned to stay away. I have isolated myself from everyone I love, except Mulder. And now through my adolescent behavior, and my egregious act of violence, I have alienated him too. The loneliness I feel is deeper and more profound than I am capable of referencing. It is a feeling so absolute as to leave me numb. The sound of a key turning the lock, offers a prick of sensation, a pang of hope. Oh, my God! Oh, please... "Mulder!" I don't care what he thinks, I just want to be in his arms. "Scully." "I'm so sorry." Yes, hold me, Mulder. As tight as you can. I need to feel you again... I need to feel again. "I can't believe you came back. I don't know why you did." "I came back because I love you, Scully. I think I forgot to tell you that when I was here before." Breathe. Breathe, Dana, or you're going to pass out and miss this incredible moment. Mulder just told you he loves you. And he's looking at you like he's... Oh, my... hoo boy. Does this man know how to kiss or what? For six long years I've watch that tongue worry sunflower seeds and roll pencils perched between his teeth. I've had many a fantasy, but none can compare with the feel of his hot demanding tongue probing my mouth. My knees are actually weak from the experience of it all. Wait. Wait. Not that I ever want to stop, but I have to tell him. "Mmm..Mull..Mulder." "Yeah, Scully?" God, he's beautiful. "Mulder, I... I wanted to tell you... I love you too." The smile on his face right now is worth all the struggling it has taken us to get to this place. I am consumed by this urgency, this ache that must finally be soothed. I want to make love to Mulder. And unless he's taken to carrying his gun in a very dangerous place, I'd say it's safe to assume the feeling is very mutual. "It's late." Oh, yeah. Right there. You can nibble there all night if you want. "I know." "Will you stay?" Don't say no. And I think you missed a spot right there behind my ear... oh, that's it. "Are you sure?" "Are you kidding?" Ohh... don't stop now! Damn. "Really?" Really, Mulder. Really, really, really. "Go get in bed, G-man. I'll be along in a minute." "Ahh, Scully, you don't know how long I've waited to hear you say those words." There's just one thing that I have to do first. I think I'll use my cell phone. Don't want to trust a poor connection after the damage Mulder did to my regular telephone. Come on, come on, pick the damn phone up. "Hello" "Hello, Diana?" Gee, hope I didn't wake you. "Yes, who's this?" "This is Dana Scully. Since you seem to have a keen interest in such things, I just wanted to inform you, Agent Mulder and I will both be late for work in the morning..." ~END~ Life is too short to drink bad wine.